Thursday, 10 April 2014

The Truth of my Dishonesty

I watched this video today:


Which I presume is based on this book. "The Honest Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone--Especially Ourselves" by Dan Ariely.

The reason why I am sharing this video is it brought a few things to light about myself. The upcoming festival in the Jewish calendar is Pesach (Passover) and as is explained in Chabad chassidut... Mitzrayim (the Hebrew word for Egypt) means boundaries and constraints. Dishonesty is in my view a primary source for creating boundaries and constraints between the people around us, but also internally within each and every one of us.

The passover blog post that I had planned to write was to go beyond the constraints highlighted in this Hermetic Lessons posting about issues with the Western Mystery Traditions. The approach that I was going to take was to look at some of the history and influences of the Western Mystery Traditions, but Frater Acher posted about it in a much better researched and eloquent post than I was motivated to write.

So instead of reflecting on how a movement or set of ideas could evolve, all that I am left with is a list of things that I have been dishonest about and the understanding that changes need to happen now. On my list are the following items:
  • Reports on how much I spent on books were false, it's an embarrassingly high amount
  • Most of those books will never get read
  • I use magic for personal gain and not in service for the community, land, etc
  • Despite the name of the blog, I have no intention of building a golem
  • My name is a lie

For the past couple of years I've almost crossed a point of transition and have chickened out eat time. To be the agent of self-change that I need to be, I have chosen to create a mini-crisis to help passover the threshold.