Tuesday, 26 February 2013

Ambassador Rant

Last week we had some repair work done in the house. During a chat over tea and biscuits, the chap I was talking with said: “This is the first time that I have spoken to someone of your faith.”

It occurred to me that the conversation that we were having about religions, history, Europe, politics, belief, etc… all of it was shaping his worldview. Every word that I chose was leaving some kind of impression as a representative of my faith.

I was an ambassador.

Not one by choice, but simply through circumstance.

This got me thinking…. Every person who labels themselves as belonging to a certain group, community, movement, etc. is an ambassador. YOU are an ambassador. All of the time!


Unfortunately it is human nature to judge a group by interactions experienced with just a small number of people -whether that is in person or over the internet. It’s not fair, learn to live with it.