Monday, 24 September 2012

Saying Sorry Open Thread

The day called Yom Kippur, Day of Atonement, is on Wednesday 26th September this year (2012). It always falls 10 days after Rosh HaShanna (the New Year). Rather than being a time of ecstatic celebration, it's really a time for reflection and putting right all that has gone wrong between you and your fellow human. That means recognizing what you've done wrong, asking for forgiveness and forgiving others in turn.

It's also a time to align back with the purpose that the Creator formed each and every one of us. Repentance in Hebrew is Teshuvah, literally it means return. Throughout the year we veer off the course that we're supposed to follow. On Yom Kippur we don't eat or drink for 25 hours, take some time to pray (i.e. reflect on what we need, not what we want) and make an effort to return to our original purpose.

This past year I've made a conscious effort not to save up all my teshuvah for Yom Kippur but instead to correct it as soon as I'm aware of the things that I've done wrong. However, if I have caused any offense or insult with this blog, I would like to offer you my sincere apologies.

If on the other hand this blog has made you look at things in a new light and challeneged you to re-evaluate part of your world-view, then my work here has had some benefit.