Wednesday, 8 February 2012

[New Year, New You]: 3 in 1 update


Deb's been busy with [New Year, New you] writing prompts and I am 3 behind. Hence this post addresses all three prompts in order: Glamour in the Year of Hustle, Shoulder to the Wheel, Asking for Help.

Glamour:
I'm going to buy a new suit, possibly two and some new shirts, I just need to make the time to do it. If I can get a good recommendation for a tailor who will do a suit for around £300 in London, then I'll consider getting it tailored. Whilst I used to feel like a bit of an impostor wearing a suit, I now recognize that it is great for social and corporate camouflage.

Shoulder to the Wheel:
To be honest I'm struggling at the moment. Not due to the almost daily organizational changes in my company, not due to the lack of sleep, not due to job insecurities; but because I got stuck trying to make sense of the Sefer Yetzirah commentaries that I've translated from Hebrew to English.

For the first time since I was at University I feel stupid. Back then it was due to the fact that some of the people on my course were incredibly intelligent.

My translation effort of Abulafia's Gan Naul has stalled on page 7. I've ploughed onwards to page 15, but my comprehension of the text got left behind around pages 4-5. Which makes the next prompt from Deb rather timely.

Asking for Help
To increase my chances of understanding Sefer Yetzirah and its commentaries I've started getting together with a friend to read, practice and discuss the text and a select number of commentaries. Fisdel's book the  "Practice of Kabbalah" has some good meditation exercises that will help us to get an experiential understanding of the book to go theory-based commentaries. It's early days yet and this could take several years. However, Sefer Yetzirah is meant to be studied with a partner rather than alone so at least it gets me moving in the right direction.

On the work front, I've got over my inhibitions and started doing a bit of networking. Asking for help in terms of mentoring and career's advice from friends and colleagues is proving to be easier and less daunting that I thought.

So far I have multiple avenues of opportunities opening up. I'll be adding in some prayers for support, some meditation exercises and all being well my career should be back on track with all pistons firing in the next 6 months or so. My only concern is ending up with a role that makes me travel too far and too frequently from my family.